My Current Memory Verse

My Current Memory Verse: My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth. ~Psalm 121:2~

Monday, February 28, 2011

Journey with God and food

Every 1st and 15th of the month I'll be changing my memory verse. This next one relates to a journey I'm taking with God through a book some of you may have heard, Made to Crave by Lysa Terkeurst. The main theme of the book is that we are made to crave God, not food. The book and time I've spent with my accountability partner going over the questions at the end of each chapter has changed my walk with God! It has truly changed my life!

Lysa did a 6 week free live simulcast that was so helpful to me and they are replaying it on Tuesday's here. Before the book, food was my comfort and......maybe I should just let you see the video that played before each simulcast. I'm a little hesitant to post this video, because I don't want anyone to take it wrong, so please make sure you read my comments that follow the video so that you can hear my heart on this one.

When I first saw this it made me a little uncomfortable, because it was messing with one of my favorite chapters in the Bible. I still laughed at it, because, well, it was funny. Now I can see that the reason it bothered me was that it held some truth for me. Obviously I had my focus on things of this world (ie. my taste buds and my stomach) and not on my sweet Savior! I had made an idol of food. Now I can read this scripture and it has so much more meaning to me. Even the first verse takes on so much more for me now.

The LORD is my shepherd,
I shall not want.

He makes me lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside quiet waters.

He restores my soul;
He guides me in the paths of righteousness
For His name’s sake.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I fear no evil, for You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You have anointed my head with oil;
My cup overflows.

Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life,
And I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

God is teaching me so much through this book/study and His Word.

My new verse is:

"Everything is permissible for me"--but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible for me"--but I will not be mastered by anything. 1 Corinthians 6:12 NIV

Which is a truth I'm excited to be writing on my heart!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I want to do this!

Music